On 11/30/2011 10:07 AM, Andrew MacLeod wrote:
> PS.  Reflecting upon it, I wonder if it could be a part of the gcc
> libraries like libgomp or libitm are.   During configuration we could
> check to see if there is an existing libatomic in the system, and if
> there is NOT, enable building libatomic...      Maybe that would be
> best?  then it would "just work" for all gcc users.  Or at least the
> vast majority.

I think this is almost certainly best.  For GNU/Linux this might as well be
forever; after all, to whom are we going to defer this work?  For other
operating systems, at least for the next few years until there is some hope of
a standardized external libatomic to which we can defer.

> A bit late in the game for this release, so an easily downloadable
> source file would probably have to do this time around for anyone
> that happens to need it for non-lockfree atomics...

Nah.  No later, really, than libitm.  Getting it checked in is the only way its
going to get tested anyway.

r~