On 12/6/2011 9:16 AM, David Brown wrote:

I would say it's better to have false positives in cases like this, than
false negatives, because there are easy ways to remove the false
positives.

My view is that for compiler warnings, you want to balance false
positives and false negatives. If you give too many false positives
people just turn off the warning anyway. I think the current balance
is probably about right.

If you want more thorough warnings, with no false negatives, then
separate static analysis tools are more appropriate. They can do a
better job than the compiler in any case.