On 06/28/2012 02:03 PM, Mark Butler wrote:
On Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:53:01 PM UTC-6, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    It's worth noting that there are *no* Linux platforms that are not
    ILP32
    or LP64, so adding a third memory model is likely to cause even more
    problems...

Care to comment on what sort of things would be likely to cause a large
number of problems porting to an L64P32 model?  I understand that L32P64
(as in Windows 64 bit) causes lots of problems, because there is a lot
of code that assumes that a pointer can be converted to a long and back.
  That would not be a problem with L64P32 however, because there
pointers would be smaller than longs rather than larger.

Every time you introduce a new model you will have problems, but in Linux it is a strong assumption that sizeof(long) == sizeof(void *).

        -hpa