Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thanks for the great reception we got at the GCC Cauldron - it was
nice meeting you.

This is just a quick follow up email with regards to the presentation
(available here
http://jpallister.com/wiki/images/4/44/Gcc-cauldron-low-power-9-jul-12.pdf).

A quick recap of what this project is about:
We hope to identify what effect a broad range of compiler options has on the
energy consumption of different embedded platforms. To do this we are finding a
set of relevant benchmarks, compiling them with different options and measuring
their energy consumption on these platforms.

Questions we'd like to answer:
 - Which set of benchmarks are suitable for embedded applications and
representative of possible applications?
 - What compiler options have the most effect on the power consumption of the
device?
 - Does choice of compiler make any difference (LLVM or GCC)?
 - Does optimizing for speed give the same results as optimizing for energy
usage?
 - Does choice of architecture make a difference?

We are very interesting in getting opinions and for everyone to be able to see
the progress of this project, so a wiki has been set up. You can access the
wiki here: http://jpallister.com/wiki

I give you occasional updates here as the work progresses.
All contributions and feedback are very welcome.

Thanks,
James Pallister