Hi Andrew

AFAICS GPL,v3+ restricts my freedom... I thought that its purpose was
to protect my freedom.

No.  I don't simply want to pile on after everything that has been
said, but this is a common misconception.  It isn't the purpose of the
GPL to protect the rights of developers to impose restrictions on the
users of their software.  Its purpose, to the extent possible, is to
protect the rights of those users.  This is best done by preventing
developers from imposing such restrictions if they use GNU software.

I understand. And the rights of the users should be protected, to the extent described by the GPL,v3.