Diego Novillo <dnovi...@google.com> writes:

> Sure.  First I wanted to find out whether this requirement is just a
> technical limitation with our mailing list software.

It is not a technical limitation.  We explicitly reject HTML e-mail.  We
could accept it.

As Jonathan pointed out, accepting HTML e-mail and then displaying it in
the web archives will make us even more of a spam target than we already
are, and will mean that we will need some mechanisms for identifying and
removing spam and virus links in the web pages.

A possible compromise would be to accept HTML e-mail that has a text
alternative, and only display the text alternative in the archives.
That would also work for people who have text-only e-mail readers.  In
general that would help for people who use e-mail programs that send
HTML with text alternatives by default.  But it would fail for people
who actually use HTML formatting in a meaningful way.  And, of course,
this would require some administrative work to be done.

I don't really care one way or the other on this issue.  That said:

1) People who send HTML e-mail ought to get a bounce message, so I would
think they would be able to reform.

2) The fact that Android refuses to provide a non-HTML e-mail capability
is ridiculous but does not seem to me to be a reason for us to change
our policy.

Ian