On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Joel Sherrill
<joel.sherr...@oarcorp.com> wrote:
> My primary concern centers whether any 386 w/o fpu IP cores or space hardened
> i386dx/sx or 486sx CPUs are impacted. These could be used in new designs.
>
> This also eliminates gcc from use on any older embedded x86 boards w/o fpu.

AFAICT nobody was suggesting dropping 486sx support, so x86 soft-float
support wouldn't be going away.

Wikipedia doesn't list any x86-compatible space hardened CPU's, though
it links to a 1998 press release about Sandia making a rad-hardened
variant of the Pentium for US gov space and defense applications;
presumably not to be available on the open market.

On the positive side, by dropping 386 you could, in some situations,
use the new 486 atomic instructions such as cmpxchg instead of a
critical section with interrupts disabled.

--
Janne Blomqvist