On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Andi Kleen <a...@firstfloor.org> wrote:
> Jeff Law <l...@redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Thoughts or comments?
>
> If noone tests java completely then it will quickly bitrot won't it?
>
> So ideally some bot would still regularly build/test it.
> If you don't do that you could as well just remove the code.
>
> The underlying problem seems to be the requirement for each
> contributor to run all the tests themselves.  Over time the gcc
> test suite has become longer and longer, so it becomes a bigger
> burden. But then they still don't test everything, because
> of optional components (e.g. not everyone has Ada installed).
> Also some tests are just unreliable and do not give good results.
>
> Perhaps it would make more sense to just split the required tests :
>
> - quick tests everyone is expected to run before commit (bootstrap +
> test suite <10/20/30min?)
> That could be some subset of what runs today. Maybe bootstrap
> and most of the C/C++ test suite.
> - This should be only tests that always pass, not the usual noise that
> is there today (e.g. not that guality random generator)
> - longer tests that run in centralized bots
> - bots automatically bisect regressions
> - clear policies that if someone causes a bot regression
> they are on the hook to fix it in a given time, or the patch gets
> reverted.
> - Get rid of all tests that are not reliable.
> - With bots it would be also quite feasible to have even
> longer tests, that run hours. For example you could add
> more slow static code analysis steps.
> - With bots you can also have nice central dash boards that give the current
> state, instead of the current "hunt random message on gcc-testresults"

Yes.

I've been wanting to implement something along these lines for a long
time. The basic idea was to use coverage to create a subset of the
full testsuite. Anything that covers N% of the coverage of the full
testsuite.  N would be chosen to guarantee a turnaround time of less
than, say, 20 minutes for a full bootstrap+test.

We'd use that as the required testing process for everyday
development. Bots would run the full testsuite.

Diego.