On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 July 2014 23:18, Eric Botcazou wrote:
>>> What are you objecting to, calling the next release from trunk 5.0,
>>> and the next one after that 6.0? Or the wording chosen to describe the
>>> new versioning scheme?
>>
>> Let's not start another subthread, please, this will be even more confusing.
>
> I'm not. I'm trying to get your message back on topic.
>
>> You can reply to my reply to Ian's message if you deem it necessary.
>
> Are you objecting to the numbering scheme, or Ian's description of it?
>
> If you have an objection to the concrete plan it would be nice if you
> stated clearly what it is.

One thing you might want to consider is that with the typical X.Y.Z
versioning of most GNU projects, changing X allows breaking
compatibility in a significant way with previous versions.  While Z
fixes regressions and Y adds new features, X is a place to make
infrequent but paradigm shifting changes that are unconstrained by a
desire to stay backwards compatible with older values of X.

By going to what is essentially a Y.Z.0 release mechanism, you lose
that ability to some degree.  Maybe that's ok in a mature project like
GCC.