On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Jakub Jelinek <ja...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 03:35:45PM +0530, Uday Khedker wrote:
>> We are interested in extracting the type of a tree node that appears within
>> MEM_REF.
>>
>> Given a C program:
>>
>>     struct node * * pvar;
>>     struct node qvar;
>>     pvar = (struct node * *) malloc (sizeof (struct node *));
>>     *pvar = &qvar;
>>
>> It is transformed into the following GIMPLE code:
>>
>>     void * * pvar.1;
>>     void * pvar.0;
>>     pvar.0_1 = malloc (4);
>>     pvar = pvar.0_1;
>>     MEM[(struct node * *)pvar.0_1] = &qvar;
>>
>> We wish to discover the type of the argument of MEM[...] in the last
>> GIMPLE statement. We can see from the GIMPLE dump that the argument's
>> type is "struct node * *". How do we extract this from the tree
>> definition of MEM[...]?
>>
>> We speculate the following solution: Given a variable var (whose tree is
>> tree_of_var) and a tree, say t,
>>
>>     if (TREE_CODE(t) is MEM_REF) and (TREE_OPERAND(t, 0) is tree_of_var)
>>     then
>>         the type of the expression inside MEM[...] of tree t is
>>         POINTER_TYPE to TREE_TYPE(t).
>>
>> Is is correct? It is general enough?
>
> A MEM_REF has 3 possibly distinct types.  If TREE_CODE (t) == MEM_REF,
> one type, TREE_TYPE (t), is the type of the access, struct node *
> in the above case.  Another type is one for alias analysis purposes,
> stored in TREE_TYPE (TREE_OPERAND (t, 1)), this one will be
> struct node ** in your case.  And yet another type is the type of the
> pointer, TREE_TYPE (TREE_OPERAND (t, 0)), which usually is the same
> as pointer to TREE_TYPE (t) initially, but as most of pointer conversions
> are regarded as useless, after optimization passes you often can end up
> there with very different type.

Note that TREE_TYPE (t) is the type of the access while the other two
types are pointer types.  Thus TREE_TYPE (t) might be 'int' for example
while the other two are always pointer types.

Also TREE_TYPE (t) is used to constrain the minimum alignment of
the access - TYPE_ALIGN (t) is supposed to hold at runtime.

Richard.