> On Sep 16, 2015, at 4:38 AM, Richard Biener <richard.guent...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Florian Weimer <f...@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>> Unlike Subversion branch deletion, Git branch deletion is permanent,
>> so this might not be the best option.
>
> We could have a 2nd git repository just containing deleted branches...

Agreed.  A correctly designed source control system doesn't lose stuff, and the
fact that GIT fails that test in the case of branches is rather disturbing.  If
the conversion would follow the GIT pattern, then the data it is going to
delete should be preserved elsewhere.  (I suppose another answer might be to
keep the existing SVN server available read-only.)

        paul