On 25 March 2016 at 01:15, Prasad Ghangal <prasad.ghan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24 March 2016 at 19:01, Richard Biener <richard.guent...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Prasad Ghangal
>> <prasad.ghan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I have attached my gsoc proposal, please review it. Let me know if I
>>> have missed or misunderstood anything
>>
>> Please re-word the Abstract, it is really weird to read - I suggest to drop
>> any notion of RTL or "back end" and somehow mention that unit testing
>> is why "we want make changes in GIMPLE".  Also stopping compilation
>> isn't in the scope of the project (and while maybe a nice thing to have
>> to do less work it is not a requirement for unit testing).
>>
>> Thus Project Goals are only unit testing (which includes what you call
>> start/stop compilation).
>>
>> During the discussion in the last comments we agreed on re-using the
>> C frontend for decls and types only and implement a completely separate
>> parser for the function bodies so the frontend can also emit GIMPLE directly.
>>
>> Thus I'd scrap 4.A)/B) and instead write about
>>
>>   4.
>>     A) Define GIMPLE syntax
>>     Provide GIMPLE dumps with enough information to parse GIMPLE and
>>     change them according to agreed on GIMPLE syntax
>
> Little confused here. Don't we need to change syntax first and then
> develop grammar to parse it?
Well the purpose of grammar is to define the syntax.
We would need to first define a grammar for GIMPLE and then implement
a (predictive) parser
that parses GIMPLE input according to our grammar and emits GIMPLE IR.
contrived eg:
stmt_list: stmt stmt_list_1
stmt_list_1: stmt stmt_list_1 | epsilon
stmt:  lvalue_operand '=' assign_stmt
      |   'if' cond_stmt
assign_stmt:  operand | operator operand | operand operator operand
operand:  INT | lvalue_operand
lvalue_operand: ID
operator: '+'

As pointed out by Richard, dumps could be modified later to adjust to
GIMPLE syntax,
initially you could write test-cases by hand.

Thanks,
Prathamesh