Hi,

On 21/06/16 13:08, Michael Matz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016, Andrew Haley wrote:
>
>>> As said in the various threads about basic asms, all correctness
>>> problems can be solved by making GCC more conservative in handling
>>> them (or better said: not making it less conservative).
>>
>> Well, yes.  That's exactly why we've agreed to change basic asms to make
>> them clobber memory, i.e. to make GCC more conservative.
>
> Exactly.  But this thread is about something else, see subject.

Well, you brought up the idea of making GCC "less conservative".  But
making GCC less conservative is something that we have not agreed to
do.  So why did you even mention it if it wasn't relevant?

>> Well, maybe.  It's also fairly likely that many work by accident.  IMO
>> this is more of a statement of hope than any kind of reasonable
>> expectation.
>
> Like yours, of course.

Hmm.  The problem is that programmers have false ideas about basic
asms.  I was one of those programmers: I "knew" that basic asms
implicitly clobbered memory, and I was startled to find out I was
wrong.  And I have been a GCC mainatiner for a long time.  I guess it
is possible that all of those uses of basic asm David mentioned are in
fact correct.  It's likely that adding a memory clobber will help.

But some things I have seen (such as changing the floating-point
status register) may not be be reliable without inputs and outputs and
should be fixed.

On the one hand we have the risk of churn, but basic asm in a function
isn't such a great idea anyway.

Andrew.