On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 09:25:30AM -0400, Aldy Hernandez wrote:
> Hi folks.  I'm working on better range information with Macleod, and I've
> been playing with folding arbitrary range expressions, which I expect fold()
> to ahem...fold.
>
> I'm surprised that even seemingly simple trees can't be folded after they've
> been built, because AFAICT, fold actually just works by recognizing patterns
> it recognizes at the top level, not by recursing down to the sub-trees.

Yes, that is how fold is designed.

> For example, I was surprised at this:
>
> #define INT(N) build_int_cst (integer_type_node, (N))
> tree x = build2 (PLUS_EXPR, integer_type_node,
>                build2 (MULT_EXPR, integer_type_node, INT(20), INT(3)),
>                        INT(10));

You should be folding it when building it, i.e. fold_build2 in both cases.
In the FEs where we don't want to fold everything immediately, we then have
c_fully_fold and cp_fully_fold that fold things recursively.

So, the question is why do you want to fold recursively in the middle-end,
instead of folding when building the expressions.

        Jakub