On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Olivier Hainque <hain...@adacore.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> On Feb 17, 2017, at 01:10 , David Edelsohn <dje....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is not a new issue.  The maintainer did not suddenly resign last
>> week.  There have been numerous efforts to reach out to the SPE
>> community for over a *decade*, cajoling them to step up with
>> maintenance for the port.  I am glad that this notice of obsolescence
>> has focused more attention on the long-standing problem.
>
> Would there be a minimum level of commitment you'd like
> to get to accept leaving the port in (if not this, at least
> that ...) ?

Hi, Olivier

There are three main areas that require attention:

1) Regular builds of the SPE configuration and regular GCC testsuite
runs that are reported to the gcc-testsuite mailing list.

2) Timely reports of any regressions.

3) An active GCC developer who is the point of contact for the SPE
port and submits patches for the port.

None of us within IBM are experts on the SPE port.  Someone from the
SPE community is needed to help triage issues, debug problems and test
patches that may affect the SPE port.

With evidence of pro-active involvement from an SPE developer, the
port does not have to be deprecated. The effort needs to be more that
activity at GCC release cycle boundaries or an accelerated deprecation
process will be proposed.

Thanks, David