On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 10:55:53AM -0500, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> >powerpc-*-rtemsspe* would be OK.
> >
> >powerpc-*-eabisimspe* is pretty ugly though.
>

> After I sent this, I saw in another response that powerpcspe*-*-*
> was proposed. Is that clearer?

Yes, it does not have part of the architecture name in the OS field ;-)

We can support both: we need to support powerpc*-*-*spe* because that
is what people use today, but we can support powerpcspe-*-* as well.

> For rtems, we already used versioned triplets. powerpc-rtems4.12
> for example. owerpcspe-rtems4.12 seems more correct because spe
> is part of the CPU architecture.
>
> Otherwise, would it be powerpc-rtems4.12spe or powerpc-rtemsspe4.12.
> Both of those are pretty ugly and confuse the third part.

I agree.  People wanting to match either can use powerpc*-x-x (which
they likely already have because of powerpc64, powerpc64le, powerpcle!)

So if you need to define a new target triple anyway, powerpcspe-*-*
is probably the way to go.

Segher