On Sun, 16 Jul 2017, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> I am well aware, and that is not what I asked.  If we would use stable
> sorts everywhere

How? There's no stable sort in libc and switching over to std::stable_sort
would be problematic. The obvious approach is adding an implementation of
a stable sort in GCC, but at that point it doesn't matter if it's stable,
the fact it's deterministic is sufficient for reproducibility.

> we would not have to think about whether some sorting routine has to be
> stable or if we can get away with a (slightly slower) non-stable sort.

I think you mean '(slightly faster)'.

> That is just a plain bug, undefined behaviour even (C11 7.22.5/4).
> Of course it needs to be fixed.

I've posted patches towards this goal.

Alexander