On 15/08/17 16:21, Ron wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 01:31:10PM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely....@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> If the forced_unwind exception escapes a noexcept function then the
>>> compiler calls std::terminate(). That can be replaced by the user so
>>> that it doesn't call abort(). It must not return, but a user-supplied
>>> terminate handler could trap or raise SIGKILL or something else.
>>>
>>> Required behavior: A terminate_handler shall terminate execution of
>>> the program without returning
>>> to the caller.
>>> Default behavior: The implementation’s default terminate_handler calls
>>> abort().
>>>
>>> I don't think glibc can help, I think the compiler would need to
>>> change to not call std::terminate().
>>
>> Maybe it could call an unwinder provided hook so that forced_unwind can
>> set it to sth stopping the unwinding and signalling an error rather than
>> abort()ing.
>
> The trick there is that we don't actually want to just stop the unwinding
> at the first place where it hits a noexcept function (or we're back to
> the situation that force_unwind was created to avoid, resources higher up
> the stack may be leaked).
>
> And my gut feeling is that we don't want to diverge from the standard as
> to when a real error (an exception leaving a noexcept context) occurs.
>
> But it seems to me that we can avoid the problem case, and stay within
> the letter and spirit of the standard just by always ensuring that
> pthread_cancel is never acted upon in a noexcept context.  That way we
> simply never throw an exception, and don't need to do anything tricky
> about handling it.  The cancel request will just get acted upon at the
> next cancellation point which isn't in a noexcept scope.  All other
> errant exceptions will still behave exactly as expected.
>
> All we'd be adding is a simple extension to noexcept, which isn't in
> direct violation of the standard, to complement the stack unwinding
> extension that the standard didn't account for with noexcept.

note that there are at least two standards involved: c++ and posix
and the later is followed by libc which is not under the control
of libstdc++.

on the c++ side:
thread cancellation is undefined in c++ and i don't think it can be
made to work in general with correct dtor behaviour at least for
async cancellation.

on the libc side:
a correct libc implementation cannot rely on c++ unwind abi, so
thread cancellation must not use the c++ exception handling
mechanism for cleanup handlers (unless c++ unwind abi is part of
the target platform abi, which is not on many supported targets).

however in this regard glibc is a non-standard implementation,
it uses c++ eh so if dtors don't work then pthread_cleanup_push
will fail too (this is non-conforming as requires non-standard
cflag, -fexceptions, for c code that uses pthread_cleanup_push.
it is also broken for async cancellation, so some posix conforming
code is broken on glibc even if -fexceptions is used).

to the original stackoverflow question the answer should be
that cancelling a thread with c++ code is undefined and thus
non-portable and using pthread_cleanup_push in c++ code does
not help on glibc.