On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 05:22:34PM +0000, paul.kon...@dell.com wrote:
> I think G-J said "...  LRA focusses just comfortable, orthogonal targets"
> which is not quite the same thing.
>
> I'm a bit curious about that, since x86 is hardly "comfortable orthogonal".
> But if LRA is targeted only at some of the ISA styles that are out in the
> world, which ones are they, and why the limitation?

LRA does better with more regular register sets, but then again, everything
has a much easier time with regular register sets.

> One of GCC's great strength is its support for many ISAs.

100% agreed.

> Not all to the same level of excellence, but there are many, and adding more
> is easy at least for an initial basic level of support.  When this is needed,
> GCC is the place to go.
>
> I'd like to work on moving one of the remaining CC0 targets to the new way,
> but if the reality is that GCC is trying to be "mainstream only" then that
> may not be a good way for me to spend my time.

That is not at all GCC's goal.  See the mission statement:

https://gcc.gnu.org/gccmission.html

More often used platforms naturally get better support, have more people
working on them.  And for releases those platforms are more important
than others, which is just a practical thing (bugs on those affect more
people, it can be hard to find people to solve a problem on a minority
platform quickly enough).  https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-8/criteria.html

But all targets matter, variety is good, also in GCC's self-interest.

Segher