Hello friends!

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM, David Edelsohn <dje....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Jeff Law <l...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 09/20/2017 09:01 AM, Paulo Matos wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am internally running buildbot for a few projects, including one for a
>>> simple gcc setup for a private port. After some discussions with David
>>> Edelsohn at the last couple of Cauldrons, who told me this might be
>>> interesting for the community in general, I have contacted Sergio DJ
>>> with a few questions on his buildbot configuration for GDB. I then
>>> stripped out his configuration and transformed it into one from GCC,
>>> with a few private additions and ported it to the most recent buildbot
>>> version nine (which is numerically 0.9.x).
>>>
>>> To make a long story short: https://gcc-buildbot.linki.tools
>>> With brief documentation in: https://linkitools.github.io/gcc-buildbot
>>> and configuration in: https://github.com/LinkiTools/gcc-buildbot
>>>
>>> Now, this is still pretty raw but it:
>>> * Configures a fedora x86_64 for C, C++ and ObjectiveC (./configure
>>> --disable-multilib)
>>> * Does an incremental build
>>> * Runs all tests
>>> * Grabs the test results and stores them as properties
>>> * Creates a tarball of the sum and log files from the testsuite
>>> directory and uploads them
>>>
>>> This mail's intention is to gauge the interest of having a buildbot for
>>> GCC. Buildbot is a generic Python framework to build a test framework so
>>> the possibilities are pretty much endless as all workflows are
>>> programmed in Python and with buildbot nine the interface is also
>>> modifiable, if required.
>>>
>>> If this is something of interest, then we will need to understand what
>>> is required, among those:
>>>
>>> - which machines we can use as workers: we certainly need more worker
>>> (previously known as slave) machines to test GCC in different
>>> archs/configurations;
>>> - what kind of build configurations do we need and what they should do:
>>> for example, do we want to build gcc standalone against system (the one
>>> installed in the worker) binutils, glibc, etc or do we want a builder to
>>> bootstrap everything?
>>> - initially I was doing fresh builds and uploading a tarball (450Mgs)
>>> for download. This took way too long. I have moved to incremental builds
>>> with no tarball generation but if required we could do this for forced
>>> builds and/or nightly. Ideas?
>>> - We are currently running the whole testsuite for each incremental
>>> build (~40mins). If we want a faster turnaround time, we could run just
>>> an important subset of tests. Suggestions?
>>> - would we like to run anything on the compiler besides the gcc
>>> testsuite? I know Honza does, or used to do, lots of firefox builds to
>>> test LTO. Shall we build those, for example? I noticed there's a testing
>>> subpage which contains a few other libraries, should we build these?
>>> (https://gcc.gnu.org/testing/)
>>> - Currently we have a force build which allows people to force a build
> [...]

I would like to verify that Buildbot is reliable. I worked with a
(small) project that was using it for their builds. In my opinion
Buildbot is more approachable and easier to customize. The only
complaint I have (that applies to a few other Python projects as well,
like Scons) is that configuration is actually a script file that uses
Python syntax. In some cases this can be odd.

As to its supporting technology, Python's developers see their project
as a serious work that provides infrastructure for others. A lot of
Python projects inherit this mindset and are very stable.

I think Java-based infrastructure is starting to be underestimated and
that Jenkins is a good candidate, but someone appears to have already
done the work.

Respectfully,
     R0b0t1