On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 8:15 PM, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/26/2018 05:00 AM, Ruslan Nikolaev via gcc wrote:
>>
>> If I understand correctly, the redirection to libatomic was made for 2
>> reasons:
>> 1. cmpxchg16b is not available on early amd64 processors. (However, mcx16
>> flag already specifies that you use CPUs that have this instruction, so it
>> should not be a concern when the flag is specified.)
>> 2. atomic_load on read-only memory.
>

> I think x86-64 should be able to do atomic load and store via SSE2
> registers,

There is no such architectural guarantee. At least on some
micro-architecture (AMD Opteron "Istanbul") it's possible to construct
a test which fails, proving that at least on that micro-arch SSE2
load/store isn't guaranteed to be atomic. See
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7646018/sse-instructions-which-cpus-can-do-atomic-16b-memory-operations/7647825
for more discussion and a testcase.

--
Janne Blomqvist