Hello Siyuan,

On Mon, Mar 12 2018, LIU SIYUAN wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Hi, my name is Siyuan and this is my first time using the GCC mailing list!

Welcome!

> I’m a senior CS student from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore who
> is interested in the GSOC project related to OMPD.
>
> I personally have experience in C/C++ (development and performance
> optimization). I have also taken compiler course and implemented a
> mini-compiler (https://github.com/koallen/mini-go).
>
> I participated in student cluster competitions so I also have experience in
> parallel computing (OpenMP, CUDA, MPI, etc.). And that’s why I’m particularly
> interested in the OMPD project.
>
> Could you give me further information if I’m intending to apply for GSoC for
> this project?

We can, but what kind of information are you looking for?

First and foremost, please get GCC sources and make sure you can build
GCC from them and then run the testsuite.  If you need it, the following
links should help you:

  - How to check out our sources using svn and git is described at
    https://gcc.gnu.org/svn.html and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GitMirror
    respectively.

  - Steps linked from https://gcc.gnu.org/install/ show you how to
    configure, build and test GCC is described in (look for
    --disable-bootstrap, among other things).

  - You may also want to look at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC
    and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GettingStarted wiki pages.

For the OMPD task, you will primarily want to look at the OMP run-time
that is in the libgomp subdirectory (and on the libgomp.exp part of the
testsuite).  You will probably also want to have a look at how to build
GDB.

The OMPD itself is described in the latest TR of the upcoming version of
the OpenMP standard:
http://www.openmp.org/wp-content/uploads/openmp-TR6.pdf

I assume that once you familiarize with the standard and look at how the
OpenMP run-time is organized (at least roughly), you will want to reach
out to Jakub (CCed) to figure out how to structure your work.

Good luck!

Martin