On 04/25/2018 01:23 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> We enabled -Wreturn-type by default in GCC 8, so code using the
> extension will get warnings even without -Wall now. Users might want
> to use -Werror=return-type to ensure they aren't bitten by the new
> optimizations that assume control never reaches the end of a
> non-void function.

But ISO C++ allows control to reach the end of main(), and
automagically returns 0.  I guess you didn't mean that, but your reply
was confusing.

N4659, Section 6.6.1 Para 5:

 If control flows off the end of the compound-statement of main, the
 effect is equivalent to a return with operand 0 (see also 18.3).

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer