On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 12:54:36PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:

> > On Jul 20, 2018, at 12:37 PM, Segher Boessenkool
> > <seg...@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:49:05AM +0200, Martin Liška wrote:
> >> Fully agree with that. Coming up with a new scripts written in python2
> >> really
> >> makes no sense.
> >
> > Then python cannot be a build requirement for GCC, since some of our
> > primary targets do not ship python3.
>
> Is it required that GCC must build with only the stock support elements on
> the primary target platforms?

Not that I know.  But why should we make it hugely harder for essentially
no benefit?

All the arguments against awk were arguments against *the current scripts*.

And yes, we can (and perhaps should) rewrite those build scripts as C code,
just like all the other gen* we have.

> Or is it allowed to require installing prerequisites?  Yes, some platforms
> are so far behind they still don't ship Python 3, but installing it is
> straightforward.

Installing it is not straightforward at all.

Segher