Richard, regarding your first mail, I'm afraid I'm not sure what you
mean. Isn't this exactly the section of configure.ac that handles
CC_FOR_TARGET? The Makefile is dumb and just passes the
autoconf-substituted value for CC_FOR_TARGET directly through.

(I agree the patch will need some tweaks to work for all the
build/host/target combination possibilities.)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM Joseph Myers <jos...@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2019, Nikhil Benesch wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to convince GCC to build target libraries with link-time
> > optimizations enabled. I am primarily interested in libgo, but this
> > discussion
>
> Note that as far as I know issues with host-dependencies of LTO bytecode
> (bug 41526) may still exist, so this wouldn't work with Canadian cross
> compilers.

Ack, thanks for the heads up. For now I'm only interested in turning on
LTO during native builds.

> > I have a simple patch to the top-level configure.ac that resolves the issue
> > by
> > teaching the build system to use the gcc-ar and gcc-ranlib wrappers which
> > were
> > built earlier and know how to pass the linker plugin to the underlying
> > ar/ranlib
> > commands. The patch is small enough that I've included it at the end of this
> > email.
>
> Will those wrappers properly wrap round tools for the target that were
> configured using --with-build-time-tools?

That's a good question. I think the answer is no. I'll investigate
further.