On Freitag, 22. März 2019 11:02:39 CET Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 3/21/19 10:19 PM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > From having fixed UBSAN warnings, I have seen many cases where undefined
> > behavior was performed, but where the code was aware of it and the final
> > result of the expression was well defined nonetheless.
>
> Is this belief about undefined behaviour commonplace among C programmers?
> There's nothing in the standard to justify it: any expression which contains
> UB is undefined.

Yes, even GCC uses undefined behavior when it is considered defined for
specific architecture, whether it be the result of unaligned access, negative
shifts, etc. There is a lot of the warnings that UBSAN warns about that you
will find both in GCC itself, the Linux kernel and many other places.

'Allan