On Sat, 14 Sep 2019, Jason Merrill wrote:

> At Cauldron this weekend Joel offered to adjust his git hooks
> (https://github.com/brobecke/git-hooks), which are already used by gdb
> and glibc, to meet GCC's needs.  Separately, Joseph volunteered to
> deal with converting the gcc-www repository to git and dealing with
> those hooks.

I also volunteered to look at automated means of identifying local fixes
for cvs2svn artifacts in the main repository, that could be applied as
part of any conversion.  (Primarily that's for misplaced branchpoints -
something that I find actually confusing in practice when trying to work
out which changes were on an old branch or to find when a branch was
created in order to locate relevant mailing list discussion.  There are
however other cvs2svn artifacts, less confusing in practice, that it might
also be possible to fix in an automated way.)

reposurgeon has some logic to identify and fix some such issues, but some
preliminary checks on an old partial conversion with an old reposurgeon
version indicate it's far from complete as regards the misplaced
branchpoints in the GCC repository, so I think our own logic for
identifying such fixes (commits with bad parents and appropriate
replacement parent commits) will be useful for any repository conversion
(either directly to produce a list of such fixes for the conversion
process, or indirectly to inform improvements to the logic in reposurgeon,
and for verification of the results).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com