On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 01:02:20PM +0100, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
> At the Cauldron this weekend the overwhelming view for the move to GIT
> soon was finally expressed.

[ cutting and pasting a bit ]

> There should be NO CHANGE to the other processes and policies that we
> have, eg patch reviews, ChangeLog policies etc at this time.  Adding
> requirements for this will just slow down the transition by
> over-complicating things.

And I would add or generalise, NO SCOPE CREEP.  We need to get this done
now (or months or years ago).

And that includes:

> - tweaked committer history (email ids etc - nice to have)
> - fixes for accidental trunk/branch deletions/restores (preferred)
> - correctness around branch points (nice to have)

Whatever of that is already done is fine of course, but we should not
let any of this delay us a second further.

> So in summary my proposed timetable would be:
>
> Monday 16th December 2019 - cut off date for picking which git
> conversion to use
>
> Tuesday 31st December 2019 - SVN repo becomes read-only at end of stage 3.
>
> Thursday 2nd January 2020 - (ie read-only + 2 days) new git repo comes
> on line for live commits.

And from then until the end of stage 4, everyone should learn how to use
git, get used to the new workflow (people's *local* workflow; the global
workflow does not change), etc.  We should help each other getting things
done where needed -- it is stage 4, we want that to go smoothly as well! --
but ideally when GCC 11 opens up everyone has learnt how to use Git
efficiently.

Thank you for this timeline Richard, I support it wholeheartedly.

  - - -  NO MORE SCOPE CREEP  - - -

Segher