On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 10:14 PM li zi <lubury...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> We are using gcc in our projects and we found some of the C standard
> functions (like memcpy, strcpy) used in gcc may induce security
> vulnerablities like buffer overflow. Currently we have not found any
> instances which causes such issues.

Are you using GCC as a compiler or the sources of GCC to do something
else?  If you are using it as a compiler, GCC does NOT provide the
libc functions, another project (e.g. glibc) provides those.

> But we feel better to change these calls to Cll Annex K Bounds-checking
> interfaces like memcpy_s, strcpy_s etc. By defining a secure calls method
> (list of func pointers) and allowing application to register the method. I
> understand that this affects performance because of return value check added
> for xxxx_s calls, but this will relieve overflow kind of issues from code.
> And also currently using bounds-checking interfaces is a general industry
> practice.
> Please share your opinion on it, and if any discussion happened in community
> to do some changes in future.

Really the _s functions are not so good and right now are optional
part of the C standard and not even implemented by glibc.  Plus they
not so useful and there are other methods of producing similar code
without them.

Thanks,
Andrew