* Frank Ch. Eigler via Gcc:

>> > Are you trying to copy from the raw message representation?
>>
>> Everyone trying to work with a patch (instead of just the email) always
>> is working with the raw message.  Just  patch < mbox  or  git-am mbox
>> for example.
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html says
>>   It is strongly discouraged to post patches as MIME parts of type
>>   application/whatever, disposition attachment or encoded as base64 or
>>   quoted-printable.
>>
>> (which many people still do not follow, making reviewing their patches
>> much harder than needed).
>
> The key here is to realize that the raw message is not what you get
> back from the mailing list reflector, and also not the raw message
> that was sent by the sender.  In this day of mta intermediaries,
> proxies, reflectors, it may be time to revisit that suggestion.

But these largely are new problems.  It used to work flawlessly.
Patch reencoding problems go back to the redhat.com changes last
November (I understand the responsible vendor is working on a fix, but
I'm not up-to-date on the current developments).

Since the sourceware.org Mailman migration, the From: header is being
rewritten, without any compelling reason.  I certainly do not do any
DMARC checking here, so the rewriting does not benefit me.