On Sat, 9 May 2020 at 08:15, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaub...@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 5/9/20 12:15 AM, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > I can do both, if you want, or just the first group?  Your choice.
> >
> > But let's hear other opinions first.
>
> These bugs document the current issues with the backend as it existed
> in gcc-8 (or was it -9)? The bugs are still in the removed code, so
> I don't really understand what you gain by closing bugs?

If the code has been removed, the bug no longer exists.

What do you gain by keeping them open forever?

> Is it important
> to keep the number of open issues low?

If you mean for PR reasons or good apeparances, no. But it's wrong to
have bugs left open that only refer to unsupported versions of GCC. If
none of the supported releases has the bug (either because it's been
fixed, or the relevant code has been removed) then the bug should be
closed.

If the bug is still present in supported versions (like gcc-8 or
gcc-9) but will never be fixed (like SPE ones) they might as well be
closed now as WONTFIX. Suggesting anything else will happen to them is
misleading.

> I don't consider bug reports a bad thing, they document the code quality
> and are a useful resource to anyone working on the code or using these
> versions.

A closed bug report doesn't disappear from the database. It just
documents that the bug report has (probably) reached a terminal state
and no work will be done on it.