On Thu, 14 May 2020, Martin Liška wrote:

> On 5/13/20 7:53 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 May 2020, Martin Liška wrote:
> >
> > > I'm sending the gcc-changelog relates scripts which should be added to
> > > contrib
> > > folder. The patch contains:
> > > - git_check_commit.py - checking script that verifies git message format
> >
> > We need a documentation patch to contribute.html or gitwrite.html that
> > describes the exact commit message format being used.
>
> Sure, I'm sending patch for that.

Thanks.  There are references to author timestamps there.  The date in a
ChangeLog entry should always be a commit timestamp, not an author one, so
author timestamps present either in commit messages or in the git commit
metadata should be ignored, with only the committer timestamps from the
git commit metadata being used when generating ChangeLog files.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com