Hi Jonathan,

> On the page https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html it says:
>
> Perl version between 5.6.1 and 5.6.24
>
> Necessary when targeting Darwin, building ‘libstdc++’, and not using
> --disable-symvers. Necessary when targeting Solaris 2 with Solaris ld and
> not using --disable-symvers.
>
> Necessary when regenerating Makefile dependencies in libiberty. Necessary
> when regenerating libiberty/functions.texi. Necessary when generating
> manpages from Texinfo manuals. Used by various scripts to generate some
> files included in the source repository (mainly Unicode-related and rarely
> changing) from source tables.
>
> Used by automake.
>
> My impression is that Perl 5.6.x is long obsolete (5.6.0 was released in
> March 2000), and the available 5.6.x versions were 5.6.0, 5.6.1 and 5.6.2
> (never 5.6.24).  Much later versions of Perl (5.32.0 is current) will work
> fine.  Should the range of usable versions be updated?  Should it list
> 5.6.1 to 5.32.0?  Or should it list some slightly later version such as
> 5.10.1 as the lowest supported version?

why would you raise the minimum version if older onces continue to work?
That just confuses users of older systems for no gain.

Unless we know that versions beyond a certain point don't work, I'd
remove the upper limit.  However, before doing so the rationale for the
current limit should be investigated and both uses (Darwin and Solaris)
checked.

        Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University