Agreed.  I'd bet AIX is the outlier here and that most, if not all,
other ports that may currently be stabs-by-default can switch to
dwarf-by-default with no significant fallout.  So we fix everything we
can while we wait for AIX to move forward.
I am not requesting a continuation of support for STABS to be
obstinate.  AIX has some support for DWARF, but STABS continues to be
the primary debug format on AIX.  Binutils does not fully function on
AIX and the AIX native tools support for DWARF is incomplete.  Also,
AIX uses XCOFF file format, not ELF, so DWARF syntax needs to be
adapted and all of the tools need to agree on the way that AIX symbols
are represented in DWARF.

Just to be clear, I didn't think you were being obstinate at all.  I was just pointing out that I think the other ports can and probably should change now (well, start of gcc-12 cycle), but that AIX can't yet.

Jeff