On Tue, 2021-06-01 at 16:24 +0200, Florian Weimer via Gcc wrote:
> * David Edelsohn via Gcc:
>
> > GCC was created as part of the GNU Project but has grown to operate as
> > an autonomous project.
> >
> > The GCC Steering Committee has decided to relax the requirement to
> > assign copyright for all changes to the Free Software Foundation.  GCC
> > will continue to be developed, distributed, and licensed under the GNU
> > General Public License v3.0. GCC will now accept contributions with or
> > without an FSF copyright assignment. This change is consistent with
> > the practices of many other major Free Software projects, such as the
> > Linux kernel.
>
> What about the parts of GCC with FSF copyrights that are not covered by
> the GPL, but the GPL with exceptions?  How is it possible to move code
> between the parts if a contributor previously used DCO and thus gave
> only permission to license under the open source license “indicated in
> the file”?

Depends on which DCO you uses. Various project use the following DCO,
which makes clear you assign permissions under all applicable licenses
(this helps if the project uses more than one, possibly incompatible,
license and/or is dual licensed):

        Developer's Certificate of Origin

        By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:

        (a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me,
            and I have the right to submit the contribution under each
            license indicated in, or otherwise designated as being
            applicable to, the file.

        (b) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other
            person who certified (a), and I have not modified it.

        (c) I understand and agree that the project and the
            contribution are public and that a record of the
            contribution (including all personal information I submit
            with it, including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely
            and may be redistributed.

Cheers,

Mark