On Wed, 4 Aug 2021 at 08:41, John Ericson wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021, at 3:32 AM, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote:
> >
> > Doesn't GCC automatically look for those commands in the --prefix directory
> > that you configure GCC with? Or is that only for native compilers?
> >

> It will search only if --with-*=... was not passed, and it will never prefix
> the query. So yes in practice for cross compilers people do the --with-* and
> no searching happens, and for native compilers no one bothers and searching
> does happen. But to be a pedant strictly speaking the behavior is independent
> of whether the compiler is host == target or not.

I've just checked, and I have a few cross-compilers (for testing
purposes) where I configure binutils and gcc with the same --prefix,
and don't use --with-as or --with-ld, and GCC finds the right
assembler and linker.

So do you need to change anything in GCC? Can't you just not use
--with-as and --with-ld if they are causing problems?