> On Feb 22, 2022, at 4:26 PM, Gary Oblock via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Andras,
>
> The whole point of benchmarks is to judge a processor's performance.
> That being said, just crippling GCC is not reasonable because
> processors must be judged in the appropriate context and that
> includes the current state of the art compiler technology. If you have
> a new processor I'd benchmark it using the applications you built it
> for.

Exactly.  Part of what you want to see is that GCC optimizes well for the new
machine, i.e., that there aren't artifacts of the machine description that get
in the way of optimization.

So you'd want to use applications that are good exercises not just of the code
generator but also the optimizer.  Dhrystone isn't really that, because it has
evolved into mostly an optimizer test, not a machine or code generator test.

        paul