On Thu, 10 Nov 2022, Florian Weimer via Gcc wrote:

> I assumed that there was a rule similar to the the rule for #error for
> any kind of diagnostic, which would mean that GCC errors are diagnostic
> messages in the sense of the standard, but GCC warnings are not.

The rule (for C) is that any diagnostic required by the standard should
either be a warning or a pedwarn (where -pedantic-errors turns the latter
but not the former into errors).

There are a few cases where -pedantic enables warnings that aren't
pedwarns because they aren't required by the standard; for example,
-Wformat -pedantic warnings for use of printf format extensions.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com