> On Nov 26, 2022, at 10:58 AM, Iain Sandoe <idsan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I am part way through the exercise on both macOS 11 (X86) and 12 (Arm64).
>
> ** However, I am using gcc-7.5 as the bootstrap compiler, not gcc-5.1.

I'm not using 5.1 -- I only quoted that version number because the install
documentation mentions it.  The actual bootstrap compiler is 8.4.1:

pkoning:gcc-darwin-x86 pkoning$ /usr/local/gnat/bin/gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 8.4.1 20200430 (for GNAT Community 2020 20200818)

> You might find problems unless you actually start a Rosetta 2 shell - so
> “ arch -x86_64 bash “
> and then go from there (this seems to ensure that sub-processes are started
> as x86_64)
>
> (with this, bootstrap succeeded for both x86_64 Rosetta 2  and rebased Arm64
> branch native - r13-4309-g309e2d95e3b9)
>
> I will push the rebased arm64 branch when testing is done.
>
>> So I'm guessing I'll have to do this in two parts, first build a newer but
>> not-latest Gnat from a release that doesn't include the problematic
>> constructs, then follow that by using the intermediate to build the current
>> sources.
>>
>> I wonder if this incompatibility was intentional.  If not it would be good
>> for the Ada maintainers to fix these and ensure that the current code can
>> still be built with the most recent public release of Gnat.  Conversely, if
>> it is intentional, the documentation should be updated to explain how to
>> build the current code.
>
> The current statement  (https://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html) is:
>
> GNAT
> In order to build GNAT, the Ada compiler, you need a working GNAT compiler
> (GCC version 5.1 or later).
>
> so, if 5.1 is not working, then perhaps a PR is in order.

I will do that, if the "shell in Rosetta" thing doesn't cure the problem.

        paul