On 04.11.22 09:27, Sebastian Huber wrote:
Hello,

even recent 32-bit architectures such as RISC-V do not support 64-bit atomic operations.  Using -fprofile-update=atomic for the 32-bit RISC-V RV32GC ISA yields:

warning: target does not support atomic profile update, single mode is selected

For multi-threaded applications it is quite important to use atomic counter increments to get valid coverage data. I think this fall back is not really good. Maybe we should consider using this approach from Jakub Jelinek for 32-bit architectures lacking 64-bit atomic operations:

  if (__atomic_add_fetch_4 ((unsigned int *) &val, 1, __ATOMIC_RELAXED) == 0)     __atomic_fetch_add_4 (((unsigned int *) &val) + 1, 1, __ATOMIC_RELAXED);

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/gcc/patch/19c4a81d-6ecd-8c6e-b641-e257c1959...@suse.cz/#1447334

Last year I added the TARGET_GCOV_TYPE_SIZE target hook to optionally reduce the gcov type size to 32 bits. I am not really sure if this was a good idea. Longer running executables may observe counter overflows leading to invalid coverage data. If someone wants atomic updates, then the updates should be atomic even if this means to use a library implementation (libatomic).

What about the following approach if -fprofile-update=atomic is given:

1. Use 64-bit atomics if available.

2. Use

  if (__atomic_add_fetch_4 ((unsigned int *) &val, 1, __ATOMIC_RELAXED) == 0)     __atomic_fetch_add_4 (((unsigned int *) &val) + 1, 1, __ATOMIC_RELAXED);

if 32-bit atomics are available.

This approach works fine for the edge counters in gimple_gen_edge_profiler() because we don't have to read the counter value. We just have to do an increment. In gimple_gen_time_profiler() we have to do this:

/* Emit: counters[0] = ++__gcov_time_profiler_counter.  */

So here we have to do an atomic increment and fetch the value. This doesn't work with the approach above. For example let thread A increment the lower part from 0xfffffffe to 0xffffffff, then let thread B increment the lower part from 0xffffffff to 0x0, then the higher part from 0x7 to 0x8, then let thread A read 0x8. Thread A would then get 0x8_ffffffff instead of the correct 0x7_ffffffff.

3. Else use a library call (libatomic).

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER