> On 15 Dec 2022, at 05:58, chuanqi.xcq <yedeng...@linux.alibaba.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nathan,
>
> > But how do they specify the mapping from module/header-unit name to CMI, so
> > that
> > imports work?
> >
> > Is this really a clang-specific mechanism, as it has no module mapper ATM
> > (IIUC)?
>
> Yes, clang doesn't have a module mapper. And I remember Iain said he want to
> introduce these options in GCC.

To clarify:

 * I have patches for clang that implements the P1184 interface which would
allow a ‘module mapper’ to be used to discover  module name <-> pathname
pairings.

 * The demand for the command line options we are discussing here is coming
from build systems folks who want to be able to specify everything on the
command line (i.e. from my understanding they do not want to use a module
mapper, but prefer dependency scanning).

So I think the two aspects are somewhat independent, I would expect the same
build systems folks to want to be able to specify everything on the GCC command
line too.

thanks,
Iain