In message <20140520225617.gk11...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
          Theo Markettos <t...@markettos.org.uk> wrote:

> (It's a VM, so would rather not use a GUI distro that drags in GNOME et al
> and gets confused when starting X since there's no video card)

Peppermint OS four is a CD install sized stable (ubuntu raring) that has
only the basic apps installed and uses a lightweight xfce desktop.
I noticed that a plain Debian 7 (stable) distro also has an xfce option.
Peppermint at least doesn't require any special measures to be taken to
get a basic installation, and the hardware recognition seems to be as
good as Mint/Ubuntu

> In message <537bab40.6080...@sky.com>
>            Lee Noar <leen...@sky.com> wrote:
> >
> > If I'm reading the
> > fetch-program script correctly, it looks in testing (jessie) first and if it
> > doesn't find the package there, falls back tostable (wheezy).

I sent a reply to this to Lee by mistake, he may forward it for me, but
basically, why not just use stable, and overide this on a case by case
basis with AB_URL inside the Setvars file where necessary?