Frank Warmerdam wrote:

I would note that the activity is not terribly complicated, and I would
welcome others taking a crack at it.  I am not particularly trying to drum
up business for myself here.

I should also note that there is a contributed "write only" dxf driver
sitting in Trac currently waiting for integration.  It is using dxflib
(which I'm not so keen on), and doesn't do the read side that is of
greatest interest.  But it might be a base on which someone could build
the read side of things.

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2555

Best regards,

Frank,

 FYI, there's a minimalist DXF reader in VTP
(VTP\TerrainSDK\vtdata\DxfParser.cpp).  Likely a little too c++ for GDAL/OGR to
be used as-is, but might be a useful supplement to the doc you've gathered (and
the licensing is as libre as it gets).

Brent Fraser