Johan Nouvel wrote:
Hello Frank,

We are on the road to update from gdal 1.40 to gdal 1.6.0 and we want to integrate some of our modifications into gdal source. Ticket 1017 is one of them. Have you planned to insert this modification into gdal trunk ? Did you need more informations ? We need gml driver to read fids as we use these fids to access our data .

Johan,

I will ask our new maintainer candidate to update the patch for trunk and to
attempt to address a few concerns I have with regard to it.   If the changes
do not seem unduely dangerous it should be practical to back port into 1.6
branch.

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1017

Best regards,