De: doug_newc...@fws.gov [doug_newc...@fws.gov]
Enviado: segunda-feira, 19 de Outubro de 2009 13:59
Para: Chris Barker
Cc: gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org; gdal-dev-boun...@lists.osgeo.org
Assunto: Re: [gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

I'm confused, I thought spatialite support was being added to ogr in 1.7 .
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_sqlite.html

As to ESRI, I asked at the last DOI meeting prior to the ESRI conference this
year about spatialite support and they said they had no plans to support it. Of
course, they used to say the same thing about postgresql/postgis and if
spatialite is implimented in ogr it will probably be included down the road.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newc...@fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the official
policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the Interior. Life is
too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.
[cid:1__=0ABBFCC7DFD59B838f9e8a93df938690@fws.gov]Chris Barker
<chris.bar...@noaa.gov>

Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
Sent by: gdal-dev-boun...@lists.osgeo.org

10/18/2009 11:42 PM

"gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org" <gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org>

cc

Subject

Re: [gdal-dev] Fastest vector format for combining shapefiles

Simon Greener wrote:
> What else is there to do for its adoption as the new shapefile for the
> open source community?

I heard someone say once that a specification isn't a standard unless
there is more than one implementation (preferably more). Is there any
other way to read or write a spatialite file than sqlite itself?

It's also not a standard without a specification -- is there one (other
than the source code, which, of course is the only truly accurate
specification).

Also -- do ESRI tools read or write it? Like it or not, they are the
elephant in the room. My ESRI-using colleagues want to distribute data
in the ESRI geodatabase format -- I don't like that, as I don't use ESRI
tools, but I can't suggest an alternative that won't work for them.

Sigh.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov

<<inline: graycol.gif>>

<<inline: ecblank.gif>>