On Oct 19, 2009, at 7:59 AM, doug_newc...@fws.gov wrote:

I'm confused, I thought spatialite support was being added to ogr in 1.7 . http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_sqlite.html

As to ESRI, I asked at the last DOI meeting prior to the ESRI conference this year about spatialite support and they said they had no plans to support it.

Of course, they used to say the same thing about postgresql/postgis and if spatialite is implimented in ogr it will probably be included down the road.

I don't know that ESRI uses OGR (vector), though I do know they are a GDAL (raster) user. ESRI will probably on support spatialite if some big government agency mandates it in order for them to fulfill a contract. There's no incentive for them to take on a competing format to their lock-in strategy (multiple kinds of a "file geodatabase"). PostGIS/PostgreSQL doesn't compete with their lock-in (which is ArcSDE), and slightly tweaks one of their competitors (Oracle), so I think that move makes sense in that context.

Howard