From: Aron Rubin [mailto:aronru...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:14 PM
To: David Baker (Geoscience)
Cc: gdal-dev@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Geodetic Problem

On 3/16/10, David Baker (Geoscience) <david.m.ba...@chk.com> wrote:
> Frank and the List,
>
> I have a geodetic problem I hope GDAL/OGR can solve.

I have not seen the direct or inverse gedesic routines in either Proj
or OGR. SimGear provides an implementation here
<http://cvs.simgear.org/viewvc/source/simgear/math/SGGeodesy.cxx?root=SimGear&view=markup>
(function _geo_direct_wgs_84) and you could use OSRGetSemiMajor
OSRGetInvFlattening OSRGetSemiMinor for the "a", "rf", and "b"
variables respectively to use other ellipsoids assigned in OGR. Proj
wiki has notes here
<http://trac.osgeo.org/proj/wiki/GeodesicCalculations> which notes a
fortran implementation <http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/PC_PROD/Inv_Fwd/>.

Aron

--
Aron Rubin
Handy Husband & Daddy Jungle Gym & Senior Engineer

This email (and attachments if any) is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication
in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy all
copies of the email (and attachments if any).