Matt Wilkie wrote:
Of course we can't ignore the fgdb as for better or ill we still live and operate within an ecosystem dominated by ESRI. It just won't be the next lingua franca, used by all as a common exchange format.

Matt,

I agree.  I do not believe the file geodatabase will have a significant
impact outside of ESRI users, and for GDAL/OGR our efforts will presumably be
to help people get their data out when needed.   I agree that Spatialite
shows promise as an open geodatabase format though it remains to be seen
how widely it will be adopted.

Best regards,