Even Rouault wrote:
Frank,

swig/include/perl/gdal_perl.i and swig/python/setup.py still contains reference to 1.7.2 version. The former preventing the Perl bindings from building due to the mismatch (and in gdal-1.7.2.tar.gz, the perl bindings were regenerated)

Even,

I have produced an RC2 with this corrected, as well as two more
bug fixes (GMT, and GXF).

  http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-1.7.3RC2.tar.gz
  http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal173RC2.zip

About r21079, I'm curious of the circumstances that made it necessary ? I have had no problem when building and running against internal libtiff and external 3.9.2 or 3.9.4 without that change.

I'm building against libtiff from CVS head (libtiff4) and ran into problems on
64bit linux.   I get stuff like:

ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0
ERROR 3: Checksum value couldn't be computed due to I/O read error.

ERROR 1: TIFFFillStrip:Invalid strip byte count 0, strip 0
ERROR 1: TIFFReadScanline() failed.
ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 5
ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 5
ERROR 3: Checksum value couldn't be computed due to I/O read error.

... lots more...

I had intended to look into it more deeply, but this already stalled me
a week, and since it does not occur with trunk, and only seems to affect
an esoteric case in 1.7.x I decided to sweep it under the carpet.

Best regards,