Ok, this is the script made up yesterday:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/336317/

and an example script which is using it:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/336318/

The convert_datasource funtion can convert an input datasource from one format to another, and in an optional step do a coordinate transformation from the input srs to another srs.

I did try to make the funtion as pythonic as I am able to do ;-), but I think there are still many improvements to make. Escpecially the transformation part should be factored out into another function I think. I will see what I can do over the weekend and post another, improved version next week.

Frank